Live with and Teach English to a family in Italy!
Location : Italy
Dates : All year round
Duration : 1 month
Tariff : 500,00 €
Detailed programme: This homestay English teaching programme is a great opportunity to experience Italian lifestyle and improve your linguistic skills at a low cost. You live with a host family and in exchange for your own room and meals; you share your language with the host family for around 15 hours per week.
This programme has a focus on cultural exchange; it is designed for flexible people wishing to experience the Italian culture in depth.
Participating in this programme implies sharing daily life with an Italian family, learning their language and culture and adopting it as their own for a period of time. At the same time, the participant will share his/her own language and culture with the members of the local family.
Location: Placements can be offered all over Italy depending on the availabilities when you apply.
Duration: 4 to 12 weeks
You help the family, usually the kids, with their English studies for up to 15 hours per week. Sometimes the teaching is for adults only.
Lessons can be more or less formal, depending upon the family needs.
When a placement has been agreed by all parts, you will have to discuss with the family what form the lessons will take: the number of formal lessons, dinner conversation, sharing activities with the children, playing games in English, etc. It is also important to agree a schedule so everybody is clear about when you will be teaching and when it is your "time off".
It is very important that you prepare teaching tools in advance using the many web resources, as well as bringing a dictionary and a grammar book to refer to.
The family offers full board and private accommodation. However, some families are not at home during the day, parents work outside and children are at school all day long. In this case, language assistants are responsible for their own lunch (you can use the kitchen or take a snack in the city centre). Language assistants should be flexible with lunches and adapt themselves to the reality of the family.
Facilities of the house are shared with the family, private bathroom is sometimes available.
Personal expenses are at your own charge even on family outings (cinema tickets, entrance fees..)
Each family is interviewed and carefully selected taking into account their genuine desire to learn a new language and share their culture with the participants.
Full details of the accommodation will be provided with the placement offer.
Conditions of Eligibility:
- Be a native English speaker
- Have finished High School
- Be flexible, open-minded and willing to adapt quickly to your new environment
- Respect the host family’s rules
- Have some knowledge of Italian. The programme is not suitable for total beginners in Italian
- Previous teaching experience is not a requirement but is highly recommended.
- A cheap way to live in Italy
- Experience the Italian culture in depth
- Improve your Italian skills
- Use this teaching experience to enhance your resume
- Make lifelong friends
As being part of the family, you will be expected to keep your room tidy and clean and respect the host family’s rules.
You will not be requested to act as a domestic help or an au pair - namely cooking / cleaning or child-minding. However, you will be expected to take a reasonable role with day to day household chores, such as helping to prepare meals, washing up, general tidying etc.
4 weeks : 500 €
8 weeks : 600 €
12 weeks : 700 €
These fees include:
- All the coordination, in-person visits and communication necessary to organise the placement with a host family in Italy (placement includes accommodation and meals)
- Orientation information, and all in-country informational materials.
- Transfer from the airport/ train station to the host family
- Guidance from in country coordinator throughout your stay
Application: To receive the application package, please contact us at: email@example.com