• Creative workshop in Togo: Batik, Sculpture, Painting •
Introduction to various local artistic techniques
This workshop with local artisans is a real introduction to the country.
The workhop is organized by a local NGO, FAGAD « Frères Agriculteurs et Artisans pour le Développement» (Brother Farmers and Artisans for Development), which was created in 1990 and is specialized in the organization of volunteer projects.
You will be trained in various artistic fields such as:
- Painting (decorative paintings, canvas, ...)
- Gavage of calabashes,
- Illuminated signs,
- Wood & ceramic Sculpture,
- Making of traditional pearl and clay necklaces,
- Batik (prints on canvas, T-shirts and loin clothes, ...)
Batik is the art of dyeing and decorating cloth with designs of various motifs, flowers and animals, characters, and scenes of everyday life.
This creative workshop has also a humanitarian goal since the creations will be sold locally and the funds raised will be used to support FAGAD projects and activities, in particular environmental and sanitation projects.
You will work with artists and other local volunteers in the various activities planned.
All year round
The workshop takes place in Kpele-Adéta, a town of 15,000 people located
at the crossroads of Kpalime-Atakpame, Notse-Danyi. This is also where
the headquarters of FAGAD are located.
This region is especially attractive to « Eco-tourists » as it provides hiking with great diversity in flora and fauna. One can discover beautiful forests, a
veritable botanical paradise, waterfalls that cool the very warm climate, fields of coffee, cocoa and palms, etc.
The region is made up of a mosaic of ethnic groups. You will meet the Akposso, the Akébou, able to keep you in breath under the charm of their melodious songs and their very risky dances.
The workshop lasts 5 days – accommodation during 7 nights
You will be lodged with full board (breakfast, lunch and dinner) at the homes of local inhabitants.
Homes are built in the traditional architectural style with toilet facilities constructed outside of the home for hygienic reasons (bucket showers).
You will be provided with your own private room. You must bring a mosquito net. (Nets can also be purchased locally at a very low cost.)
The families housing our guests have experience receiving young foreigners coming to Togo to participate in volunteer projects.
This price includes:
- 15 course hours with an artisan teacher (3 hours per day from Monday to Friday)
- Welcome at Lome's airport (if necessary)
- Transfer to the family where you will be staying
- Transfer to the artisan teacher the first day
- Lodging with full board for 7 days
- Assistance for the duration of your stay via our local partner
- Membership fees for the association
Good to know
Touristic sites nearby:
- Fuentes farm tour (Adéta, Danyi Dzogbegan monasteries, and Farm fuentes and Tsiko American hospital.)
- Kloto tour (Mount Kloto, from where you can see the Volta lake in Ghana, Kamalo waterfall, Kpalimé artisanal center, Kpalimé market.)
- Agout Womé Tour (peak of Agou, the highest peak of Togo, cascade of Womé, market of Kpalimé.)
- Kpélé tour (waterfall of Kpélé Konda or cascade of Dzanipé with beautiful falls, repose of Tsaviè)
- Toutou-to tour (site FIATOE, Community forest FAO Kpékpéta and Agbomé, Peul village.)
Visit our partner’s website: FAGAD